Monday, April 15, 2013

"The House I Live In"

Today in class the reading choice was about the drug war and if we believe that the punishments were to extreme. For some reason this topic took me to a place that i would never like to return. It saddened me deeply to hear some peoples response to the subject, I respect everyone's opinion and i'm glad that our class touched on this subject. But I can't lie some of things being done pissed me off, it's as if they couldn't care less about things happening everyday. It sucks so bad because we are always told to give the presenter the floor and to pay attention but some just were being very rude and doing their own side thing. Any-who i just had to get that off my chest, the presentation made me really want to see that documentary, for me it hit home in a way that I wasn't really willing to talk about but at one point it became to much and i began to tear up. I'm pretty sure the people who noticed was wondering what was going on in my head so I guess I'll try to explain. When I was around 8 years old my father became addicted to drugs, he was losing out on a lot he became absent in me and my siblings life, my mom left him, his family turned there backs on him, and to top it off he was caught with just enough drugs to have him put away for we seemed to be a century in my young eyes. Because of this he became a felon which meant when he did get out there would be no better life waiting for him. Although it was his decision and I completely understand that I think people fail to realize that my father had a problem and for that he will forever be seen in a negative light. When he got out he went to live with a women he had been seeing for a while because he couldn't get a job and because of that he couldn't get his own place all because of that one mistake. He also couldn't pay child support which meant that he was going back to jail. People don't understand how this one thing could cause i trickle down effect into so much more. This topic was interesting and in a way i feel sorry for the people who didn't care to listen and learn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment